Monday, September 09, 2013

Flower Tutorial

Back to Drawing Lab!  I completed the flower tutorial - which I'd been procrastinating on.  And as usual on the ones I put off - I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  I've never done watercolor washes over-top of a whole lot of pencil lines.  I was taught to do as few light lines as possible and build depth with the layers of paint - but I really like the look of watercolor over the shading and scribbling.  I still went with the kids set of Prang Watercolors for this (it's so much quicker to grab that than squeeze out little drops of my liquid watercolors and build a palate and worry about squeezing out too much and wasting.  Clearly I need to invest in some professional dry watercolors)  But I did avoid the washable watercolors this time.  And I skipped the Crayola colored pencils in favor of my nice Prismacolors.  So much better.  I don't know why I waste my time with the kids stuff.  (it's just what's always in front of me, because I'm often doing this with the kids ;)
I skipped the steps that involved paint pens, as I have zero desire to own paint pens, and I went light on the acrylic "highlights" at the end.  Wasn't feeling the "take it to a crazy place"that the last few steps seemed to want me to go.  So ya.  I'm happy with this.  It's a pretty flower.  :)

No comments: