Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Persimmons and Peppercorns

IMG_0036 by Steph Toth Kates
IMG_0036, a photo by Steph Toth Kates on Flickr.

The next drawing lab was collage. I chopped up a Vegetarian Times and made this. So I've recently switched from oils to acrylics for my "real" paintings - and looking at the examples in the book for this lab - I realized that this means I can *paint* in my sketchbook now - which was a very exciting discovery.
This was fun to do - I secretly love doing huge messy fast painting - but I don't love the way it looks, so I don't do it often - now that I can paint on paper I'll probably let myself play this way more often. So the bottom layer is acrylic, then I glued in the collage elements and then added the bird and some texture using oil pastels. (also something that I love playing with, but hardly ever use - again because I feel the results don't look good enough, even though I love doing it. Have I mentioned that this drawing lab thing has been great in that way - I get an excuse to play with all the fun stuff and not worry too much about the result being "show able" It's really nice. :)

No comments: